Sponsors sometimes require an institutional investment to show the University’s commitment to a proposal. Please see the College of Engineering’s procedures for requesting cost sharing for more information.
How to Request Cost Sharing:
- Prepare a cost sharing request form and secure department approval.
- NOTE: GSRA support will not be considered except in the case of major centers.
- Email the cost sharing request form to the Associate Dean for Research (ADRfirstname.lastname@example.org) copying your research administrator as soon as possible – but AT LEAST ONE WEEK before the CoE proposal submission deadline. ADR staff will secure approval from the University of Michigan Office of Research (UMOR) when appropriate.
- For cost sharing requests below $30,000, The College and the Department (or PI) will be expected to cost share equally.
- The approved cost sharing commitment must be included in the proposal budget.
- The budget justification must state how the cost sharing will be allocated and spent.
- Attach email approvals for cost sharing to your Proposal Approval Form (PAF).
Cost Sharing Priority System:
- Top priority: Cost sharing is required by the funding agency.
- 2nd priority: Cost sharing that is strongly recommended or encouraged by the agency or program manager, as evidenced by past cost sharing levels of awards in the same program. – and/or –
- Cost sharing that supports strategic CoE or UM initiatives (e.g., equipment and facilities)
- 3rd priority: All other requests
UMOR will provide:
- cost sharing for requests of $10,000 or more.
- no more than 1/3 of the cost sharing for equipment.
- A maximum of $100,000 per year for any given proposal.
Fellowship Cost Sharing Training Grants:
- To request Rackham cost sharing, contact John Godfrey and follow directions on the Rackham website.
- To request CoE cost sharing, email the CoE cost sharing request form to the Associate Dean for Research (email@example.com) and copy your research administrator
- Rackham will provided 50% shortfall for the tuition, health insurance and dental (opt. 1) shortfall for this award.
- CoE will cover 50% of the tuition, grad care, and dental shortfall.
- To request the Rackham cost sharing, contact John Godfrey and follow directions on the Rackham website
- No formal cost sharing request is required from CoE.
- Rackham will cover 50% of the tuition, grad care, and dental shortfall.
- CoE will cover 25% of the tuition, grad care, and dental shortfall.
- Department will cover 25% of the tuition, grad care, and dental shortfall.
Tuition Differential Cost Sharing:
Tuition differential is not often used to meet cost sharing requirements. Follow the regular CoE cost sharing approval procedure. For the PAF: 1) Identify tuition differential as Source: 114469, CoE Department ID 210302 in the cost share section. 2) Include in Notes section: It is the responsibility of the department and the PI to ensure that the appropriate students are appointed to a grant in order to meet the differential cost sharing.