How to Request Cost Sharing
- Prepare a cost sharing request form and secure department approval.
- NOTE: GSRA support will not be considered except in the case of major centers.
- Email the cost sharing request form to the Associate Dean for Research (email@example.com) copying your research administrator and ADR-Approve@umich.edu (Linda Forsyth, Rachael Ristau and Elizabeth Wagner) as soon as possible – but AT LEAST ONE WEEK before the CoE proposal submission deadline. ADR staff will secure approval from the University of Michigan Office of Research (UMOR) when appropriate.
- For cost sharing requests below $30,000, The College and the Department (or PI) will be expected to cost share equally.
- The approved cost sharing commitment must be included in the proposal budget.
- The budget justification must state how the cost sharing will be allocated and spent.
- Attach email approvals for cost sharing to your Proposal Approval Form (PAF).
Cost Sharing Priority System
- Top priority: Cost sharing is required by the funding agency.
- 2nd priority: Cost sharing that is strongly recommended or encouraged by the agency or program manager, as evidenced by past cost sharing levels of awards in the same program. – and/or cost sharing that supports strategic CoE or UM initiatives (e.g., equipment and facilities)
- 3rd priority: All other requests
UMOR will provide:
- cost sharing for requests of $10,000 or more.
- no more than 1/3 of the cost sharing for equipment.
- A maximum of $100,000 per year for any given proposal.
Fellowship Cost Sharing Traning Grants (multiple students per project) i.e.: NSF NRT (formerly IGERT); NIH training grants
- To request Rackham cost sharing, contact John Godfrey and follow directions on the Rackham website.
- To request CoE cost sharing, email the CoE cost sharing request form to the Associate Dean for Research (firstname.lastname@example.org) and copy your research administrator and ADR-Approve@umich.edu (Linda Forsyth, Rachael Ristau and Elizabeth Wagner)
- Rackham will provided 50% shortfall for the tuition, health insurance and dental (opt. 1) shortfall for this award.
- CoE will cover 50% of the tuition, grad care, and dental shortfall.
Individual Fellowships (one student per project)
- To request the Rackham cost sharing, contact John Godfrey and follow directions on the Rackham website
- No formal cost sharing request is required from CoE.
- Rackham will cover 50% of the tuition, grad care, and dental shortfall.
- CoE will cover 25% of the tuition, grad care, and dental shortfall.
- Department will cover 25% of the tuition, grad care, and dental shortfall.
Tuition Differential Cost Sharing Tuition differential is not often used to meet cost sharing requirements. Follow the regular CoE cost sharing approval procedure. For the PAF: 1) Identify tuition differential as Source: 114469, CoE Department ID 210302 in the cost share section. 2) Include in Notes section: It is the responsibility of the department and the PI to ensure that the appropriate students are appointed to a grant in order to meet the differential cost sharing.